- 8 large Eggs (Whole)
- 1 1/2 cups Xylitol
- 3 teaspoons Coconut Extract
- 2/3 cup Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 6 large Egg Whites
- 2 cups Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Dried Coconut
Total Time: 52 min
Prep: 30 min
Cook: 22 min
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper; then grease the paper.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat whole eggs, 3/4 cup xylitol and 1 tablespoon coconut extract until ribbons form, about 5 minutes.
- In three additions cup sift almond flour, baking power and salt over egg mixture; fold in with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Fold in 1/2 cup melted butter. Then pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 22 minutes until cake springs back in middle when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Line racks with paper towels and invert cake layers. Gently peel off parchment and cool completely.
- For frosting: in a double boiler or a bowl placed over simmering water, whisk egg whites, 3/4 cup xylitol and salt until temperature reaches 130°F. Transfer whites to mixing bowl and beat on high speed until cool and fully whipped. Reduce speed to medium and beat in 1 1/2 cups room temperature butter 1 tablespoon at a time until well combined, thick and creamy, about 10 minutes – do not rush the process.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Mix 1 cup frosting with half the coconut (1/3 cup); frost bottom layer. Place top cake layer over bottom layer. Cover top and sides with remaining frosting and pat remaining 1/3 cup coconut over frosting. Optional: toast coconut (3-5 minutes at 350°F). Makes 12 servings.